The annual clearance event starts with the Morgan Hill/San Martin Citywide Garage Sale on Sept. 8-9 and ends with the Gilroy Citywide Garage Sale on Sept. 15-16.
The Garage Sales “bookend” a full week of events dedicated to making people aware of different ways to reduce, reuse and recycle, according to a press release from the City of Morgan Hill. Here is a schedule of events:
• Monday, Sept. 10 is “Universal Waste Awareness Day”: Properly dispose of consumer electronics, batteries, fluorescent lighting and other mercury-containing devices. Drop-off locations include Ace Hardware in Morgan Hill and Gilroy; Westside Recycling (e-waste), 16290 Railroad Ave. in Morgan Hill; Pacific Coast Recycling (e-waste) and 5895 Obata Way in Gilroy. Also, the Santa Clara County HHW program can be used for mercury containing devices by calling (408) 299-7300 for details. Be aware that there is a charge to drop off some consumer electronics due to disposal costs.
• Tuesday, Sept. 11 is “Freecycle Day”: Freecycle helps reduce waste by connecting people who are throwing away unwanted items with others seeking the same items. There are Freecycle groups in both Morgan Hill and Gilroy. Visit trashnothing.com and click “Join Now” to sign up.
• Wednesday, Sept. 12 is “Donate Coats for Kids & Adults Too Day”: Share your unwanted coats with underprivileged children and their parents. Drop off from 8am-5pm at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center, 17000 Monterey Road or Gilroy City Hall, 7351 Rosanna Street.
• Thursday, Sept. 13 is “Second Sight Day”: Give your old eyeglasses a second chance to serve someone less fortunate. Drop off from 8am-5pm at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center or Gilroy City Hall. The Lions Club will give your eyeglasses a second chance to serve someone who is less fortunate.
• Friday, Sept. 14 is “Recycle Your Cycle Day”: Donate your “gently used” bicycles and the city will distribute them to local charities. Drop off is at the Morgan Hill Corporation Yard, 100 Edes Court from 8am-3pm or at Sunshine Bicycles, 311 First Street in Gilroy from 10am-5:30pm. Both children and adult bicycles will be accepted. Donors are asked to donate bicycles that are functional and can be easily repaired by a mechanic, free of rust or corrosion and clean enough that you would accept it as a gift.
To register your garage sale for either of the garage sale weekends, visit secondchanceweek.com. Applications are due no later than Aug. 31 for the Morgan Hill/San Martin garage sales and no later than Sept. 7 for Gilroy garage sales. A full list of participating garage sale addresses will be posted on the website no later than noon the Friday before each weekend.
Second Chance Week is sponsored by the cities of Morgan Hill and Gilroy. For more information, call (408) 310-4169 or visit secondchanceweek.com.